Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Happy Halloween!

Which would be great in our dark, spooky, misty tree-lined street. Except that tonight they're making a Christmas advert for Tesco two doors along, so the street is full of vans and trailers, and big arc lights. There's a rumour going around that they'll be bringing a snow machine later, because what's a Christmas commercial without snow? If they do, it'll be a wonderfully surreal Nightmare Before Christmas-esque juxtaposition.

Which reminds me, I have a pumpkin downstairs that needs cutting with a mildly sardonic grin. And I wonder if we have any candles.

Halloween still isn't the same as it is over in the US. I see supermarkets and shops stocking up on cheap plastic masks and bad costumes, but do kids really go around trick or treating over here? In all my years, I've only ever seen a couple. I've just missed the big annual party on Carlotta street back in Baton Rouge. Live music, hundreds of people in costume, good times. Although this year apparently there were lots of
fights, and the police had to break it up. I've never seen that before. Usually it's peaceful and everyone's there for a good time. Ho hum.

Anyway, pictures from Chicago up later.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't that partially because we have:

November 5th - excuse for fireworks
Diwahli - excuse for more fireworks and lots lights

?

8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home